By: The MyGuestbook Travel Expert
Many travelers have preferences when packing for their trips. Suitcases and backpacks are the most common ways to carry your items around with you whether you’re road-tripping or taking a plane.
Pros of Suitcases:
- Have lots of space to bring everything you need.
- Contain multiple compartments for storage.
- Easily transportable with wheels.
- Available with a hard, exterior shell so that belongings can be more protected.
Cons of Suitcases:
- They can be quite bulky if trying to travel lightly.
- They can easily be damaged when being handled by airline employees.
- Can be costly when checking bags on a plane.
Suitcases are always the go-to travel bag regardless of how people travel, given their amount of space and compartments for organizing clothes, shoes, and accessories. However, as the cost of flying goes up in the summer, there are also usually baggage fees for checking bags. Because of this, it can be a good idea to consider just taking a travel-on backpack or small rolling suitcase that can easily be tucked in to an overhead bin.
Backpacks can be a valuable option if traveling by foot will happen throughout the trip. Having everything you need whilst traveling is a major pro of carrying a backpack.
Pros of Backpacks:
- Easy to carry and transport.
- Provide lots of options with multiple compartments in a variety of sizes and types for organizing.
- Small enough to fit on planes with no extra cost of checking a bag.
Cons of Backpacks:
- Can become heavy when carried for a long time
- Very limiting on how much can be packed
- Soft outer covering can allow damage to occur to contents
Ultimately, taking a suitcase or backpack is dependent on how long of a trip you’re taking and how you’ll be traveling. The best way to travel is light, so consider a carry-on to save money and stress at the airport. Backpacks are often avoided, but can carry the necessities and they’re easy to throw on your back and go. They also offer the ability to carry diapers, extra clothes, and any extras you may need when enjoying your vacation so the choice can really be left to each person and his or her needs!